espanol
ABOUT US › HISTORY

After the Second World War, two things occurred that had a considerable effect on the natural gas industry: War-time embargos were lifted on the use of natural gas for fuel, and the availability of gas was increasing at a rapid pace throughout the Northeastern United States.


Frank Kern Jr. purchased Detroit Regulator Co. in 1946. At that time the company was a small machine shop producing a line of gas pressure regulators, a model airplane engine, and servicing the local auto industry. Although Kern was initially more interested in the small gasoline airplane engine, the popularity of model airplanes declined after the war. While the company continued to do machine works, its primary focus shifted quickly to regulator development and production. Detroit Regulator had been marketing gas pressure regulators since it was incorporated in 1930.


In 1948, Detroit Regulator Co. was awarded a patent for its innovative Straight-Thru-Flow (STF) regulator design. Also known as the Maxitrol (Maximum Control), the STF design allows gas to flow straight through the regulator without changing directions. The effect is a significant reduction in pressure drop resulting in greater capacity. By meeting the developing need for high capacities at low inlet pressures, the STF design made a major impact on the industry.

The STF was the first significant pressure regulator design change in more than a century and the foundation for the company's growing business. In August 1953, the company's name was changed to Maxitrol Company.


Maxitrol's design team continues to create and produce inventive products including the 325 series regulators for use with 2 psi and 5 psi piping systems, the Selectra electronic gas flame modulation systems for direct and indirect fired heaters and, in 2003, the DFM series temperature controls for use with direct gas-fired modulating air heaters.


Maxitrol began distributing its products in the European market in 1965 when it opened a division in Senden, Germany, and increased its presence in 1993 by partnering with Mertik Regelungstechnik GmbH, located in Thale, Germany. New affiliate Mertik Regelungstechnik was reorganized and renamed Mertik Maxitrol. Today, Mertik attributes more than 95% of its sales to products developed since 1993 and holds 51 patents in 15 countries. The two company's product lines compliment each other with Mertik producing gas combination controls, gas safety products, and the new Plug1 gas convenience outlet. Maxitrol and Mertik often pool their talent for joint projects.


Maxitrol Company's headquarters is currently located in Southfield, Michigan with production facilities in Blissfield and Colon, Michigan. Throughout the years Maxitrol Company has undergone many changes and faced many challenges, but through the work of talented and dedicated employees, it continues to develop innovative technology for the natural gas industry.

 


HIGHLIGHTS

•Frank Kern Jr. purchased Detroit Regulator Co. in 1946

•In 1948, Detroit Regulator Co. was awarded a patent for its innovative Straight - Thru - Flow regulator design

•Maxitrol began distributing its products in the European Market in 1965

•Mertik attributes more than 95% of its sales to products developed since 1993